Tuesday, August 25, 2009

STEPS

A great week of training in Florida. The humidity and heat was crazy and I tried my best not to complain about the added discomfort and instead concentrated on running strong and with purpose. I had 2 aqua-runs this week and 4 road runs including a very successful interval run on Tuesday and a great long run on Saturday.

I find I spend a great amount of my running time thinking about my running form. One day I hope that such mundane thoughts will no longer clutter my brain during runs however at this point in my running career I am still figuring out how to put one foot in front of the other. I wrote this poem about my running form struggles.

STEPS


Sometimes the steps are HARD: SLUGGISH, SLOW and HEAVY,
Sometimes the steps are EASY: EFFORTLESS, FAST and LIGHT.
Yet every step does carry me: BODY, MIND and SOUL,
Across the distance by but, the POWER OF MY MIGHT.

2 comments:

Sara Montgomery said...

Great week! Not sure how you handle the Florida heat and humidity. Even an interval workout in it, very impressive.

Eliza Ralph-Murphy said...

It was 90% humidity today during my tempo but was a bit cooler then it has been at 82 degrees. I know you have been having pretty much the same humidity at home so I feel for you on your long runs. atleast I get my runs done quick then into the pool. Although a nice cold lake dip would be much more refreshing.